Friday, June 19, 2020

THE JUNE ISSUE


Welcome to the fourth issue.  While I continue to write the occasional blog posts, this newsletter provides information about multiple topics. This month I’ll talk about subplots, news about the release of my latest story, along with another author interview and music. Let’s Roll With It!



WRITING
Think about any novel, television series or movie and you’ll probably be able to identify at least two stories lines happening simultaneously. Sometimes they can take up a significant part of the story. There can be a correlation between the main theme, or it could just be something to flesh out more about the character.

For example, in “Fleeing Beauty” the third novel in the Jamie Richmond series, Jamie is learning more about her late father, who passed away when she was only seven years old. Now, more than twenty years later, she has a chance to get a better understanding of him as a person and perhaps, of herself. At the same time, Ian, a teenager who is a friend of hers and Malone’s is still coming to terms with the loss of his own father a year ago.
While the main element of the story centers around the discovery of her father’s artwork and a subsequent robbery, this subplot shines a light on Jamie’s upbringing and helps shape her character.

In “Your Turn to Die” the second Jefferson Chene novel, he tells his girlfriend Simone about his failed attempt to drown a nun during a boat ride as a teenager.  This shows that Chene isn’t perfect and even has a lighter side, which can offset his serious demeanor as a police detective.

If you’re curious, the tale about attempting to drown a nun is true. It’s one I’ve shared with friends over the years.  You’ll have to read the book to see how it all came together.

THE RELEASE

Things are moving quickly now and I’ve learned that “Don’t Mess With the Gods” my collaboration with Elle Nina Castle, will be part of the anthology “Magic and Mischief”.   With luck this collection will be available for pre-order by the end of June. It should be released in August.   Stay tuned for further updates.  In the July issue, you'll get a chance to learn more about the intriguing Ms. Castle.

                                    AUTHOR INTERVIEW

This month's guest is K J Holliday.





Where are you from?  I'm originally from southern Oregon, but I'm currently living north of Seattle. I love the Pacific Northwest.

What’s your ‘someday’ or dream vacation spot and why? I love traveling and try my best to go to at least four new places a year. I've hit a lot of my major dream vacation spots, but I would love to check out Peru or Thailand next.

What’s your favorite thing to do for relaxation? Meditating and listening to classical music.

How long have you been writing? I've been writing for as long as I can remember. I know that's a cliché’, but it's true. When I was little I would write songs, that turned into poetry. At thirteen I started writing short stories, and now am actively publishing novels.

Are you able to write full time or do you also have a job/career? I am still a relatively new author, so unfortunately I'm still working my full time job. My hope is that as I continue to write and publish that will change. I have two books being published with Inkspell publishing next year, a sequel in the works that I hope will be picked up, and one I'm shopping for literary representation.

Is there a particular genre that you write?  Or more than one?  What led you to there? I write all types of genres. Primarily I write stories that have a heavy romantic theme, because it’s what I primarily read when I was younger. But I also am extremely drawn to Women's Fiction, and anything with a supernatural element. I'd live to write a sci-fi novel in the future!

Do you use friends or family as characters in your work? Sometimes I borrow elements from people I know, but I don't have any characters that are dead ringers for someone I know.

Has anyone in your life influenced you or encouraged you to pursue your interests of writing? (teacher, family member, friends). My friends and critique partners (affectionately nicknamed the Mouse House because we're all big Disney fans) have been the reason I've come as far as I have. They've selflessly listened to my ideas, brainstormed, and helped edit my work. I wouldn't be half the writer I am without them.
What is your favorite aspect or writing? Your least favorite?  That's a hard one. I think my favorite part of writing is the brainstorming stage. I love jotting stuff down and letting my ideas come to life. My least favorite part of writing has to be the endless editing.
What aspect of writing would you most like to improve on?  I always am trying to improve my writing, but sometimes it's hard to figure out exactly what I need to work on without constructive feedback. The biggest thing I've been working on lately is consistency.

Is there a common theme or item that appears in each of your work?  Romance.
 
What have you learned the most from being in the writing business? Trials and tribulations, as weird as it sounds. Every new day as an author comes with new information. I always feel like I'm the wrong side of the learning curve. It's an exciting ride, and I can't wait to find out what's next.

Tell us about your latest work: (blurb, excerpt, cover) My latest work is a short story that is being published in the Scarlet Leaf Review. It's a Young Adult short story about a little girl and her imaginary friend that is being released in three parts.



How did you decide on your story plot?  
I was given the idea as a prompt in a writing group, and the idea just became its own animal. It's so unique and encompasses so much of the genres I enjoy. I'm really excited about where the story is going.

Describe how this method works best for you. Outline or ‘seat of the pants’?  A little of both. It depends on my mood to be honest. As I grow as a writer I definitely am more consistently going the outline route.

Do you have a favorite scene you’ve written? What makes it special? 
I think all of Imaginary is very special to me.
You can check it out in the May 2020 issue of www.scarketleafreview.com or on Amazon https://www.amazon.com//dp/B0877BF9TT
The first part of the Paranormal YA short story series.
Jason Turner was brought to Katie O’Connell when they were both five years old. He isn’t told much that day, only that he is meant to be her constant companion, her protector, and her imaginary friend. Without a doubt, he takes his job seriously, and for years they were the best of friends. Time trickles by, and the real world threatens to tear them apart with every day that passes. As she begins to forget him, he begins to fade. Can fate, loneliness, and a mysterious place called the ‘Otherside’ really keep them apart? Or will a bond unlike any other overcome all odds?

You can follow my stories and progress on my website or instagram:

A footnote here: I discovered KJ , who is a little camera shy, is also a “Princess Bride” fanatic and can quote lines from the movie. She even claims to have a Princess Bride tattoo!  Inconceivable! Now that’s what I call dedication!

MUSIC
A little shift this month from the Motown files. As one who can’t work in silence, I’ll often have one of the streaming music channels playing for some variety. Lately I’ve been hearing a lot of Steve Winwood.



So here’s my top 5 favorites
Gimme Some Lovin’: https://youtu.be/BuQ3PaFyb9A
Back in the High Life: https://youtu.be/Adw772km7PQ
Can’t Find My Way Home: https://youtu.be/OU6iplEflzs



No comments: