Monday, June 1, 2020

Virtual Book Festival

June. 

At last the sixth month of the year has arrived. It seems like June has gotten lost along the way, meandering this way and that, becoming elusive. For the last few years, June has always signaled a great time for me as a writer, to get out and meet people interested in books.  I’ve attended a number of different events over that time, in different parts of Michigan. Some have been stellar. Others, not quite as good.

It’s been an opportunity to connect with other authors as well. A chance to share stories and strategies, check out new works and have a few laughs.  Unfortunately, that’s not going to happen this year.

Like so many other group events and activities, book festivals have been cancelled. My recent favorite, a two-day blast held in Muskegon, near the shores of Lake Michigan near the Fourth of July holiday weekend, was cancelled two weeks ago.

Yet with that cancellation, a new opportunity was presented. Just like the college classes I teach and many business meetings, it’s time for book festivals to go virtual!   Diana from Pages Promotions (who I met at authors events years ago) jumped on this idea with both feet.  More than 30 authors are participating in the event, which will run through most of June.  Each day there will be a live session with an author on Zoom.  There will be discounted prices of featured works, books given away and more. You can find all the details by following this link


Thursday, June 4th at 7:00 p.m. (EDT) will be my turn for a 30 minute live session. I’m ready to talk about stories, characters, conflicts, settings and more.  Diana will probably have a list of questions to cover and take questions from those who want to dial in. Here’s a link. 



As part of the fun, “Devious” the first novel in the Jamie Richmond mystery/romance series, will be on sale for just 99 cents.  That’s right!  You can get an e-book copy of my favorite redhead’s first adventure for less than a buck. Links to all the popular sites are below.  And this sale extends beyond the USA to include, Canada, the United Kingdom and Australia! 

https://books.apple.com/us/book/devious/id1059428211

Here’s an excerpt from “Devious”. 

I can’t believe I’m standing here with a gun in my hand. And it’s pointed at his chest. My heart’s pounding in such a pronounced manner you’d think I had just run five miles. But there’s anger mixed with the adrenaline coursing through my system.

If someone told me four months ago I’d be facing a life or death situation, I would have gotten them a nice cup of tea and tried to find some way to calm them down before the ambulance arrived to carry them away. Danger is not my forte. I don’t live for danger. I live vicariously, documenting the courage and exploits of others. The scariest thing I have ever done is eat yogurt after the expiration date.

But now here I stand, gripping a weapon and praying I won’t have to use it as he narrows the gap between us. Yet, despite my hammering heart, I realize there is no way this ends neatly. There is too much at stake. I’ve already had a visit with Death tonight, and it wasn’t pleasant. Can I take the shot? Or will he rip it away from me and kill me with my own gun?
How could this be happening to me?

 Here's what Jamie might look like.


Music this time comes from Steve Winwood with some classic rock.
https://youtu.be/BuQ3PaFyb9A

No comments: