Saturday, July 16, 2016

Bestseller

I've always been an avid reader.  If I'm lucky, I'll get through a new book each week. Every once in a while, I pick up a book by somebody I've never heard of but the back cover blurb intrigues me. I usually read a page or two in the beginning, to see if they can capture my attention and if the writing is any good. If so, I'll take the plunge and buy it.

Last week was a perfect example. I was vacationing up in the northern part of Michigan, among the throng of visitors enjoying the extended holiday weekend. Wandering into a store in Mackinaw City, something on the shelf caught my eye.  Bestseller.  My first reaction was, 'that's pretty damn bold to give your book that title' or words to that effect.  So I checked out the back cover. This was written by Christopher Knight.  Not somebody I'd ever heard of, but the blurb sounded promising.  I skimmed the first page, then flipped it open at random and read another. Then another.  At one point the rest of the group I was with headed out so I stuck it back on the shelf and moved on.

Ten minutes later, I was still thinking about it. So I doubled backed and bought a copy.  Right there should have told me that this one was promising. It spent a few days tucked in the back of the car until we got home and I dug it out.

Every once in a while, I'll get caught up in a book and realize I'm torn between two perspectives. One, I want to hurry up and finish it to see how the author pulls it all together and if they can keep the tension and interest going until the end. Two, I'm enjoying the story so much I don't want it to end.  Crazy, isn't it.   This is one of those stories.  This one was such a success, it was even made into a movie.

http://www.bestsellerthemovie.com/about.html




Turns out Christopher Knight is another pen name for the guy also known as Jonathan Rand, who penned the Michigan Chiller series for kids.  Obviously he knows how to get your attention. So if you're looking for something different, check out "Bestseller".  I'll certainly be on the lookout for some of his other novels.


Christopher Wright, who writes under the pen names Christopher Knight and Johnathon Rand, will serve as executive producer on the film Bestseller, based on his 2002 novel of the same name.

No comments: