Saturday, December 19, 2020

The Tenth Issue

 

                         


                                             Happy Holidays! 

I am definitely part of the majority that cannot wait for this year to end. We’re all very hopeful that 2021 will be dramatically better in so many ways. For the writers among us, quarantines and restrictions on social gatherings have resulted in time to write.  December is a time to reflect on what I’ve accomplished as a writer and what the future holds.

So it’s time for my next newsletter offering, with a glimpse at a work in progress and an interview with one of my favorite characters.  Of course, there’s music to be shared. Let’s roll!

                     

Writing

Earlier this month, one of my students (I teach business courses at the local college) asked where I get ideas from for my stories.  She’s expressed interest before about writing.  I explained that an idea can strike me anywhere, at any time. It could be something I witnessed, a conversation that’s overheard or triggered by a song on the stereo.  Sometimes it’s like Zeus zaps me with a lightning bolt. Or it can be a little voice beside me that whispers “Oh, that would be a sneaky twist!”

My student didn’t seem satisfied with that response. Perhaps she was expecting me to refer to a store or a website. I can see it now.  Story ideas, 3 for $10!  Holiday Sale!  Maybe there are different sites for different genres.  Or there could be a little corner of the Barnes & Noble store where a gnarled old man sits on a stool behind the counter. When you tell him what kind of story you’re interested in, he spits out an idea, like a writing prompt.

The student didn’t seem convinced. Maybe she thinks I’m withholding information, not wanting to divulge trade secrets. But that’s not the case. Most writers will tell you the same thing. It’s a matter of observation, of watching and listening and letting your imagination kick in. A good idea for a story is no different that a good idea for a product or service.

It can come from anywhere.

 

Work in Progress

As the school semester comes to an end, I’m looking forward to some time on the keyboard, working on the next Chene novel.  It’s coming together nicely, but there are still many scenes to carve out.  Some interactions between characters are essential, to help develop the players and to keep the story moving. Understand that this is a Work in Progress, so there’s no guarantee this scene will make the editor’s cut. But I’m always hopeful.

Here’s a little interaction between Chene and FBI agent Banks, who are taking a lunch break in the middle of the joint investigation.

 

We entered and took a table in the back. I prefer to sit facing the door, so I can see trouble if it’s headed my way. Banks settled in across from me and picked up a laminated menu.

“What’s good?”

“Everything. People will line up for corned beef and not just on St. Patrick’s Day. It’s legendary.”

She scanned the menu as the waitress appeared. I got a brief nod of recognition.

“Pastrami on rye, with deli mustard and iced tea,” I ordered.

Banks looked up. “I’ll try the turkey with Swiss cheese and mayo, on white bread and a Diet Coke.”

The waitress did her level best not to burst out laughing. She hustled away to place the order.

“Turkey on white bread with mayonnaise. You sure know how to live on the wild side, Banks.”

She shrugged. “I’m a suburban WASP. Deal with it.”

“Wouldn’t hurt you to expand those culinary horizons a little.”

I pulled the list from Sister Augusta. Near the bottom was the name and contact information for Leon LaChance, a retired science teacher. Banks gave me a quizzical look as I circled the number.

“What happened to doing the interviews in person?”

“LaChance retired and moved away. From what Mary Margaret said, he lives up in the Traverse City area during the summer and Savannah, Georgia in the winter. So, unless you have access to the FBI corporate jet, we’ll talk with him on video.”

Banks nodded. “That jet is way above my paygrade. The video call makes sense.” Her eyes went wide as the waitress returned with the sandwiches on two gigantic platters. “You have got to be shitting me!”

“You can always get a doggy bag.”

I cut my sandwich in quarters and dug in. Banks hesitated, then copied my moves. Her eyes went wide as she took a bite. The cookies and coffee we’d had with Father Dovensky was the closest I’d gotten to breakfast. Food was definitely needed. Banks tried to start a conversation at one point, but it was impossible to understand her around a mouthful of turkey.  I took a slice of the pastrami and set it on her plate.

“Try it. Just take a bite.”

She eyed me suspiciously and daintily wiped the corner of her mouth with the paper napkin.

“It won’t kill you.”

“Is this considered soul food?”

I almost choked on my iced tea. “It’s made from a beef brisket. Just seasoned and sliced thin. You want soul food, that’s in another part of town.”

Banks speared it with her fork and took a tentative bite. She chewed it thoroughly, then set the rest on her plate. She reached across and snagged the quarter of the sandwich where the sample came from.

“You’re right. A girl does need to expand her culinary horizons.”

 

Interview

In the past, I’ve utilized this space to introduce you to another author. With the holidays on the horizon, it seemed appropriate to change things up a little and since it’s a time for giving, offer up a gift too.  I will give away five e-book copies of “Devious”.  Just tell me your favorite holiday meal.

Today you can learn about Jamie Richmond, the protagonist from three novels “Devious”, “Vanishing Act”, “Fleeing Beauty” and the novella “Stealing Haven”.

                                (Here's a possible image for Jamie)




Tell us a little about yourself.

Jamie:  Well, I’m 31, single, the only child in an Irish American family. My father was a sculptor who was very successful. Unfortunately, he died when I was seven years old. My mother decided that staying with one man made no sense, so she has been married many times since then, which makes me a little skittish about relationships. I’ve always been interested in writing. After studying journalism in college, I worked for newspapers for eight years. I learned a lot about people and writing, which I now utilized for the kind of writing I was born to do. Mysteries!  I have published three novels and I’m working on my next one.

I can be a bit of a smart ass. I’m pretty observant, quick with a laugh. But as a redhead, you know I’ve got a fast temper too!

Who is the greatest love of your life? What drew you to them?

Jamie: Wow, that’s a tough one. There are different types of love. I mean, I really love Bert, my step-father. He was my mother’s third husband from the time I was thirteen until I went to college. He’s always treated me as an adult, has always been there for me. We’re still close. Then there’s Linda, my best friend since we were six years old. I’d do anything for her. Now if you’re talking about romantic love, there’s Malone. He’s charming and self-confident and smart. One look from him and my knees come unhinged. He’s got these incredible blue eyes that pierce my heart. We’re still getting to know each other.  I think what appealed to me is that we met through my work several times before we started to date. By that time, we had developed this low-key friendship. I was extremely nervous on our first date, but that’s normal. (Laughs) He still makes me nervous.

What’s your greatest fear?

Jamie: That I’ll do something to ruin the great thing I have with Malone. When it comes to relationships, I’m always looking over my shoulder at my mother’s crazy antics. I’m afraid that it’s hereditary. But the longer we’re together, the more confident I’m becoming. I think.

What’s your motto in life? 

Jamie:  What the hell.  It’s an old expression from a dear friend. When I wanted to try something different, like writing mysteries, I figured, ‘what the hell’. You can either keep doing the same thing or take some chances with life and see where it goes. I owe a good part of that philosophy to Bert. He has always encouraged me.

How would others describe you?

Jamie: (laughs) Stubborn, determined, self-conscious, shy, (yeah, I know) a smart ass, focused, loyal and creative. I’m stubborn about getting to the truth. I’m self-conscious about my body. I am definitely shy and a little awkward with guys. And everyone agrees that I can be a real smart ass.

What is it about you that is going to draw readers in?

Jamie:  Readers will be able to identify with me. I’m a real woman, not some Hollywood creation that required assembly. While I doubt my body would stop traffic unless I am sprawled across the highway, I’m alright with that. Like many women, I struggle sometimes with my self-confidence. I might read too much into what someone says or does, wondering if there’s more to it than what’s on the surface.  But my heart is strong and true. I want the same things we all do: a few good friends we can count on, a job that I’m happy and successful at, and someone to curl up with at the end of the day and love.

What trait in others do you find most deplorable?

Jamie: Dishonesty. I can’t stand liars. Sadly, I’ve dated a few and when their lies tripped them up, they were out the door.

Now for a weird random question: If you were a color, what color would you be and why?

Jamie: (laughs) Oh, I’ve got to say red. As a redhead, it only makes sense. Red can be bright and vibrant and glowing. My face turns red when I’m excited or embarrassed. It’s the color of roses, of blazing sunsets, of passion, of love. Yes, I am definitely a red.

Links:



Devious

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017Y9XMHC




Vanishing Act

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0190T15Y6






Fleeing Beauty

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019WPCIBM






Stealing Haven (Part of Once Upon A Summer)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1945910682

 





Music: 

Stevie Wonder has been making music since the 1960s. This award-winning artist (more than twenty Grammys and an Oscar) has sold more than 100 Million records worldwide. Wonder has been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, The Rhythm and Blues Hall of Fame and the Songwriter’s Hall of Fame.


Here are my top five favorites from Stevie Wonder.

Isn’t She Lovely  https://youtu.be/oE56g61mW44

My Eyes Don’t Cry https://youtu.be/IgH2yswwywI

I Just Called  https://youtu.be/NiRj5m63oig

Boogie On Reggae Woman  https://youtu.be/ylQMhYqSntk

For Once in My Life https://youtu.be/l3qi3E40aWE

  

May your holidays be filled with laughter, love, good health and happiness. If you can’t share them in person, dig out the memories.

 

 

No comments: