Sunday, November 13, 2016

A Change Up



Writers can get complacent. That leads to routine stories, which become boring for readers. 

Sometimes it’s a good idea to change things up. Maybe that means having a character who started out being nice and sweet and in reality, they are the demon from hell, the last person you want to cross, the one you always want to keep your eye on. Or maybe it’s just looking at things from a new perspective.

The same thing can be said for promoting. It’s definitely not my favorite part of writing. But it’s absolutely necessary if you want to let the world know about your work. Unless you’re on the bestsellers lists, chances are few people have heard about you. 

I’ve put copies of my books in the local libraries, done press releases, giveaways and attended book fairs.  I’ve also talked to independent bookstores about carrying my novels. Unfortunately, I haven’t had much luck there. Yet.  

But a few weeks ago at a book festival, I met Lori, the owner of a jewelry store. Lori became intrigued with my stories, especially the fact that they take place in Michigan.  She offered me the opportunity to display my books at her stores.  So we kicked it back and forth, ironed out the details and voila! Lori may host an event to feature the books in the near future.  Imagine that: A Michigan author with stories set in Michigan. How’s that for buying local!

If you’re in West Michigan, here’s your chance to check out a great store with some beautiful jewelry.  And some pretty good mysteries too!
 

As Jackie Gleason used to say, “Away we go!”   


No comments: