Saturday, March 19, 2016

What's In A Number?

You've probably heard the line from Shakespeare, "What's in a name?" on more than one occasion. I've used it in lectures and in workshops for writers.  There's so much to be said for names, how they can be a sneak peek at how the character may behave. Or it may be an ironic twist that has absolutely nothing to do with the story.  The author may have just liked the name. 

Sometimes you'll see a blurb at the back of a novel where a famous author has supported various charities by letting people bid on having a name included in their upcoming work.  It goes to show you never can tell.

But what about numbers?  I'm no math wizard but sometimes numbers play just as important a role as names do in a story.  Which leads me to today, March 19.  Or more precisely, 319.  That collection of numbers has a significant meaning to me.  Primarily because it has special significance in my mystery "Why 319?"  So each year when this day rolls around, I've been known to raise a glass in recognition.  Three nineteen.  That's how I say it.  I've even heard quarterbacks use the same numbers when calling signals during a football game. Makes me wonder if they read the book.

In the novel, the murder victims are found in room 319 in different hotel room around Metro Detroit. The last time I was traveling, I tried unsuccessfully to get that room at the hotel. Maybe next time I'll request it when I make reservations.

So that's my take on the numbers 319.  Are there any special numbers for you?


And here are a couple of older posts that you might find interesting.

http://marklove024.blogspot.com/2015/01/why.html


http://marklove024.blogspot.com/2016/01/good-ol-whats-his-name.html

No comments: